Herding Cats

4.16.2009

I'm going to be a chicken mom!

I ordered 3 chicks last night from My Pet Chicken! I am a planner ad nauseum so I'm proud of myself for DOING IT! Here is a description of the 3 types I ordered, 1 of each.

Dominiques are considered a "heritage" breed of chicken in that they've been around for hundreds of years and are now critically endangered. Some people can't tell the difference between a Dominique and a Barred Rock, but the trained eye will notice that Dominques have a rose comb versus the Barred Rock's single comb. They are black and white and have a nice 'chicken shape'

Easter Egger They are friendly, great layers of large blue and green eggs, and sometimes even pinkish eggs. Their smaller body size makes them good in the heat which will be a concern in Tampa. "Easter Eggers" are hybrids that carry the blue-egg gene of the true Araucana breed. They have a sweet disposition and don't mind being handled. Because this is a hybrid variety (not a breed), it is impossible to know what color the chicks will be until they feather out. They have fluffy feather cheeks and beards when grown.

Stars are "sex link" chickens, meaning they're bred specifically so that males and females are different colors when they hatch. Females are egg-laying machines that continue to lay well in the heat and cold, when many others slow down. The males are said to be good "fryers". (I won’t be letting them do any cooking!) they are usually a rusty gold color and weigh about 5-6 pounds when grown.

Now I have to get to work on a coop and brooder so I'm ready when they arrive! but strangely I'm craving pickles and ice cream right now....

No comments: